From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:54:07
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 21/04/12 18:55, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> [...]
5 >>> Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Without it,
6 >>> RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
7 >>> hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
8 >>> but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.
9 >>>
10 >>> Do a:
11 >>>
12 >>> dmesg | grep -i firmware
13 >>>
14 >>> and check for firmware loading errors.
15 >>
16 >> So that is what is wrong with my connection. I been having this issue
17 >> for a while and it is getting on my nerves. Is this fix OK even if you
18 >> don't build your drivers as modules? I build everything into the
19 >> kernel. I never did like modules much.
20 >
21 > The kernel source doesn't have any firmware files in it, so it doesn't
22 > matter whether you build the drivers into the kernel or as modules; the
23 > firmware isn't there in either case.
24 >
25 > However, this particular driver (r8169), says in its description that
26 > building as a module is recommended. However, it doesn't give you any
27 > explanation as to why this recommendation is made. I suppose the driver
28 > developer was working for Apple previously :-P
29 >
30 > Anyway, "dmesg | grep -i firmware" should tell you whether you actually
31 > even need the firmware. If you don't get a firmware loading error in
32 > dmesg, then you don't need it and your problem is not related. In that
33 > case, you belong to the (quite large) group of people for which only the
34 > net-misc/r8168 driver works reliably (which unfortunately doesn't always
35 > support the latest linux kernel.)
41 Something like this:
42
43 root@fireball / # dmesg | grep -i firmware
44 [ 10.138253] r8169 0000:03:00.0: eth0: unable to load firmware patch
45 rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw (-2)
46 root@fireball / #
47
48 Looks like I found the fix for this problem. Yeppie !!
49
50 I don't use modules because a long time ago is was recommended not to.
51 So far, I have seen no reason to change that. Sort of like using the
52 init thingy. I may start using modules, when there is good reason to do
53 so. I'm just a old fart that likes the old ways of doing some things.
54 LOL I still don't like the init thingy although I am using one. :/
55
56 Thanks much. I can leave google alone now.
57
58 Dale
59
61
62 P. S. < dale makes note of that command. May come in handy one day. >
65 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
66 how you interpreted my words!
67
68 Miss the compile output? Hint:
69 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"