From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:23:30
1 On 21/04/12 18:55, Dale wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> [...]
4 >> Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Without it,
5 >> RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
6 >> hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
7 >> but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.
8 >>
9 >> Do a:
10 >>
11 >> dmesg | grep -i firmware
12 >>
13 >> and check for firmware loading errors.
14 >
15 > So that is what is wrong with my connection. I been having this issue
16 > for a while and it is getting on my nerves. Is this fix OK even if you
17 > don't build your drivers as modules? I build everything into the
18 > kernel. I never did like modules much.
19
20 The kernel source doesn't have any firmware files in it, so it doesn't
21 matter whether you build the drivers into the kernel or as modules; the
22 firmware isn't there in either case.
23
24 However, this particular driver (r8169), says in its description that
25 building as a module is recommended. However, it doesn't give you any
26 explanation as to why this recommendation is made. I suppose the driver
27 developer was working for Apple previously :-P
28
29 Anyway, "dmesg | grep -i firmware" should tell you whether you actually
30 even need the firmware. If you don't get a firmware loading error in
31 dmesg, then you don't need it and your problem is not related. In that
32 case, you belong to the (quite large) group of people for which only the
33 net-misc/r8168 driver works reliably (which unfortunately doesn't always
34 support the latest linux kernel.)