From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 15:56:59
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 21/04/12 17:25, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> 120421 Dale wrote:
4 >>> Philip Webb wrote:
5 >>>> You actually have to remove the offensive file
6 >>>> from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
7 >>> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too.
8 >>> I do wish we could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
9 >>> We can dream I guess.
10 >>
11 >> Yes& why did it start doing this only with the new mobo
12 >> -- was it provoked by seeing an unknown driver ?
13 >> And whyever did it want to rename the device to 'eth1' ??
14 >
15 > So that eth0 still works. It can't know that what you have is a new
16 > mobo rather than you having added an additional NIC.
17 >
18 > Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Without it,
19 > RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
20 > hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
21 > but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.
22 >
23 > Do a:
24 >
25 > dmesg | grep -i firmware
26 >
27 > and check for firmware loading errors.
33 So that is what is wrong with my connection. I been having this issue
34 for a while and it is getting on my nerves. Is this fix OK even if you
35 don't build your drivers as modules? I build everything into the
36 kernel. I never did like modules much.
37
38 This goes to show, it doesn't hurt to read a thread even if you can't
39 help.
40
41 Thanks Nikos. You helped two people.
42
43 Dale
44
48 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
49 how you interpreted my words!
50
51 Miss the compile output? Hint:
52 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"