From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 15:23:45
1 On 21/04/12 17:25, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 120421 Dale wrote:
3 >> Philip Webb wrote:
4 >>> You actually have to remove the offensive file
5 >>> from the dir, not simply rename it to 'xx70xx...' !
6 >> That's the same way files in /etc/portage/ works too.
7 >> I do wish we could put a # on the front to make it ignore files.
8 >> We can dream I guess.
9 >
10 > Yes& why did it start doing this only with the new mobo
11 > -- was it provoked by seeing an unknown driver ?
12 > And whyever did it want to rename the device to 'eth1' ??
13
14 So that eth0 still works. It can't know that what you have is a new
15 mobo rather than you having added an additional NIC.
16
17 Also, make sure to emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware. Without it,
18 RTL8111/8168B NICs will produce random connectivity hang-ups after a few
19 hours; they need firmware that was previously part of the kernel itself
20 but has now been split to sys-kernel/linux-firmware.
21
22 Do a:
23
24 dmesg | grep -i firmware
25
26 and check for firmware loading errors.