From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new mobo : Eth0 recovered
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:53:36
1 On Saturday 21 April 2012 16:21:31 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > Do a:
4 >
5 > dmesg | grep -i firmware
6 >
7 > and check for firmware loading errors.
8
9 I have what seems to be the same network hardware, so I did what you
10 said and duly found an error. I hadn't had any obvious network
11 performance problems but I emerged linux-firmware anyway.
12
13 After the next reboot (without any firmware loading errors) kmail
14 couldn't send any e-mails, complaining each time that it was unable to
15 create an SMTP packet (I think that's what it said).
16
17 So I removed linux-firmware, rebooted and got kmail back.
18
19 Go figure. :-)
22 Rgds
23 Peter