From: Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] a day of PAIN.
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 14:47:13
1 Ouch.....
2
3 Yesterday I made the dubious decision to go ahead and mobo swap my aging
4 1800x to [nondisclosed].
5
6 Ok... The new mobo is EFI only...
7
8 Back in the good old days, the BIOS would just load the first sector off
9 your floppy drive, check for a basic sanity check pattern to make sure
10 the floppy cable was connected, working, and not cross-circuited, and
11 then it would work.
12
13 DOS provided a single command for making a bootable floppy and it
14 **NEVER FAILED**.
15
16 This thing does not boot off the motorized cupholder, and setting it up
17 is like the twelve labors of Herculese and you have to get them all
18 exactly correct or it doesn't work at all and it doesn't tell you why it
19 doesn't work. =| I don't even know how it's working.
20
21 I had intended it to be a UEFI drive from the start but my old mobo was
22 very forgiving and I think the thing was actually booting in BIOS mode.
23
24 Turns out the missing ingredient was "efibootmgr"... =\
25
26 The designers of the UEFI standard cared about nothing but their own job
27 security.
30 So I got to see my GRUB menu.  YAY....    (lasted about 5 seconds...)
31
32 Machine appeared to stall at kernel loading.
36  >>> YOU KNOW SOMETHING WAS DESIGNED BY PENGUINS WHEN IT MAKES THE WORST
37 POSSIBLE DESIGN DECISIONS AND THEN BLAMES THE USER FOR NOT MAKING IT
38 WORK... <<<
39
40 Case in point, EFI framebuffer.          I could end the post there....
41
42 Why is this not a forced-on setting for any machine with UEFI enabled? I
43 can't imagine that this would be unacceptable for more than 0.001% of
44 the install base.
45
46 So therefore it is disabled by default and you have to enable it in at
47 least three different deeply burried settings otherwise the kernel
48 appears to hang.
49
50 In the good old days the BIOS did the following:
51
52 Is there something resembling a CPU in the socket? Good!
53 Where's the goddamn video card so I can post error messages?
54 Does this machine even have RAM?
55
56 So obviously linux is doing this profoundly wrong....
59 Ok, so it's time to emptytree world my system:
60
61 I don't feel comfortable manually yanking any of these packages... What
62 is the cannonical solution to this CF?
63
64 ####################
65 Total: 1701 packages (628 upgrades, 16 new, 2 in new slots, 1055
66 reinstalls, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 10,521 KiB
67 Conflict: 4 blocks (2 unsatisfied)
68
69  * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
70  * installed at the same time on the same system.
71
72   (sys-apps/shadow-4.8.1-r2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
73 pulled in by
74     sys-apps/shadow required by @system
75     sys-apps/shadow required by (net-misc/openssh-8.2_p1-r6:0/0::gentoo,
76 ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="X pam pie ssl -X509 -audit -bindist
77 -debug -hpn -kerberos -ldns -libedit -libressl -livecd -sctp
78 -security-key (-selinux) -static -test -xmss" ABI_X86="(64)"
79
80   (sys-apps/util-linux-2.35.1-r2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for
81 merge) pulled in by
82     sys-apps/util-linux required by
83 (app-text/build-docbook-catalog-1.21:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for
84 merge) USE="" ABI_X86="(64)"
88 The vaccine is a LIE.
89
90 Powers are not rights.