From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simplest NTP client for standalone system?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 14:38:22
1 On Tuesday, 29 August 2017 14:56:34 BST J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On 29 August 2017 14:52:45 GMT+02:00, Stroller
3 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > >Hello,
5 > >
6 > >Any recommendations for a simple NTP client?
7 > >
8 > >I was surprised to find the clock wrong when I logged into one of my
9 > >systems today.
10 > >
11 > >On another system I have net-misc/ntp installed. On it I have:
12 > > $ ls -1 /etc/runlevels/default/*ntp*
13 > > /etc/runlevels/default/ntp-client
14 > > /etc/runlevels/default/ntpd
15 > > $
16 > >
17 > >I *think* this is because ntp-client is designed not to make large
18 > >adjustments, so ntpd is run at startup in case the clock is too far
19 > >out.
20 > >
21 > >Ideally I'd like a program that performs both roles.
22 > >
23 > >Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
24 > >
25 > >Stroller.
26 >
27 > I switched over to chrony some time ago and it actually does what I would
28 > logically expect ntpd to do.
29 >
30 > It's in portage.
31
32 Me too; many years ago, when ntpd was far less capable than it seems to be
33 now.
34
35 Chrony was designed to cope with long periods of not being connected to the
36 internet, as in a laptop. It will step the clock at startup (you can adjust
37 the size threshold) and slew it thereafter. It also keeps statistics of your
38 hardware clock's performance and uses them to keep as fine a control as you
39 like.
40
41 It just works. Fit and forget.
44 Regards,