From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 15:52:02
1 On 07/04/2011 09:39 PM, pk wrote:
2 > On 2011-07-04 22:32, Grant wrote:
3 >
4 >> That's the FM1 socket, right? I only see two FM1 CPUs on newegg.com
5 >
6 > Yep.
7 >
8 >> right now. They're quad-core and 100W. I guess the advantage there
9 >> is they have graphics on the CPU. A 65W CPU would be better but when
10 >> it comes out I suppose.
11 >
12 > Yes, since a htpc doesn't need a powerful cpu (or a powerful gpu) I
13 > would wait for the low power version. Acc. to Wikipedia the A6-3600/3800
14 > should be released (30th of June) so it shouldn't take long for Newegg
15 > to get them? I guess you could always ask them...
16 >
17 > My thinking is this: A htpc doesn't need a powerful cpu/gpu combo but if
18 > you're running Gentoo on it, and planning to do the compiling on the
19 > machine itself, it's still nice to have a few cores available. If you
20 > are patient or can do cross-compiling (I haven't actually tried these
21 > myself) on another machine there are even lower power alternatives
22 > (Intel Atom, AMD Fusion):
23
24 I've run two different Atom boxes as desktops - a 300 and now a D525.
25 With an SSD my total power usage, with 4GB of DDR3-800 RAM, is typically
26 less than 30W. And it's quite responsive. The 300 was a dog but the 525
27 is great.