From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 04:41:46
1 On 2011-07-04 22:32, Grant wrote:
2
3 > That's the FM1 socket, right? I only see two FM1 CPUs on newegg.com
4
5 Yep.
6
7 > right now. They're quad-core and 100W. I guess the advantage there
8 > is they have graphics on the CPU. A 65W CPU would be better but when
9 > it comes out I suppose.
10
11 Yes, since a htpc doesn't need a powerful cpu (or a powerful gpu) I
12 would wait for the low power version. Acc. to Wikipedia the A6-3600/3800
13 should be released (30th of June) so it shouldn't take long for Newegg
14 to get them? I guess you could always ask them...
15
16 My thinking is this: A htpc doesn't need a powerful cpu/gpu combo but if
17 you're running Gentoo on it, and planning to do the compiling on the
18 machine itself, it's still nice to have a few cores available. If you
19 are patient or can do cross-compiling (I haven't actually tried these
20 myself) on another machine there are even lower power alternatives
21 (Intel Atom, AMD Fusion):
22
23 http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board/E35M1M/
24 http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_CPU_on_Board/AT5IONTI/#overview
25 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3681#ov
26
27 http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-at5iont-i-review/11811-10.html
28
29 Haven't looked at the details, just did quick search...
30
31 Well, I guess you could find even lower power alternatives as well...
32 ARM maybe? But that's another story!
33
34 Best regards
35