From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 20:33:49
1 >> I'm reading that ASUS and Gigabyte are the way to go for reliability.
2 >
3 > For consumer oriented motherboards, I feel the same.
4 >
5 >> Yeah I'm a little worried about that with the motherboard.  If
6 >> necessary I can keep limping along with my current motherboard while I
7 >> wait for drivers for the new one.
8 >
9 > Have you decided on a AM3+ socket motherboard or would you consider
10 > alternatives? If AMD "floats your boat", wait a while until the Llanos
11 > comes out[1]; an 4 core APU with integrated graphics core at 65W... Of
12 > course you need to get a motherboard that support HDMI out... but for a
13 > Gentoo htpc that would be a "perfect" balance between compiling power
14 > and low power utilisation, no?
15 >
16 > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Fusion_microprocessors#Llano
17 >
18 > Best regards
19 >
20 > Peter K
21
22 That's the FM1 socket, right? I only see two FM1 CPUs on newegg.com
23 right now. They're quad-core and 100W. I guess the advantage there
24 is they have graphics on the CPU. A 65W CPU would be better but when
25 it comes out I suppose.
26
27 - Grant