From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:08:37
1 On 2013-08-20 8:22 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:10:21 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Not really, because make is intelligent enough to no bother
5 >>> recompiling anything for which the source has not changed.
6 >>
7 >> True, but why recompile the kernel just to redo the initramfs?
8 >> As mentioned, I don't update/recompile the kernel as often.
9 >> "genkernel" puts the initramfs where it needs to be, kernel-make
10 >> doesn't.
11 >
12 > That depends on your needs. The reason I do it this way is so that the
13 > initramfs is locked to the kernel. Once that kernel boots, it will always
14 > boot because the initramfs cannot be changed. If I make a change to the
15 > initramfs, that's a new kernel and however broken it may be, the old one
16 > will still work.
17
18 So, you're saying that whoever it was that said that some userland files
19 (that the initramfs 'refers to') could get updated, causing it to get
20 out of sync - and presumably causing it to fail to boot if/when you
21 rebooted - was wrong?
22
23 The main thing about this whole initramfs thing is, like Dale, I just
24 don't understand it. I understand grub and grub.conf. I understand
25 enough about compiling a kernel to be able to get it done and be
26 reasonably sure it is done right.
27
28 But if my system ever failed to boot because of a problem with the
29 initramfs, I basically would be hosed.
30
31 > The kernel and initramfs are so closely coupled, it just seems sensible
32 > to keep them in the same file, since neitherof them is any use without
33 > the other.
34
35 See above...