From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 12:22:25
1 On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:10:21 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > > Not really, because make is intelligent enough to no bother
4 > > recompiling anything for which the source has not changed.
5 >
6 > True, but why recompile the kernel just to redo the initramfs?
7 > As mentioned, I don't update/recompile the kernel as often.
8 > "genkernel" puts the initramfs where it needs to be, kernel-make
9 > doesn't.
10
11 That depends on your needs. The reason I do it this way is so that the
12 initramfs is locked to the kernel. Once that kernel boots, it will always
13 boot because the initramfs cannot be changed. If I make a change to the
14 initramfs, that's a new kernel and however broken it may be, the old one
15 will still work.
16
17 The kernel and initramfs are so closely coupled, it just seems sensible
18 to keep them in the same file, since neitherof them is any use without
19 the other.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 All mail what i send is thoughly proof-red, definately!