From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 12:11:36
1 On Tue, August 20, 2013 12:03, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 07:44:41 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 >> > The kernel build system can also build the initramfs if you give it
5 >> > the location of the config file. That way the initramfs is built for
6 >> > each kernel, using the currently installed versions of the various
7 >> > tools.
8 >>
9 >> Yes, it's a little bit easier then manually adding a new initramfs.
10 >> But as I update userspace more frequently then the kernel, that would
11 >> still lead to a version discrepency.
12 >> I need to always remember to rebuild the initramfs when a part of
13 >> userspace that sits in the initramfs is updated. An automatic option
14 >> there would be usefull.
15 >> If it were included into the kernel, I would need to rebuild the kernel
16 >> after every update. Just redoing the initramfs is less of a waste of
17 >> CPU.
18 >
19 > Not really, because make is intelligent enough to no bother recompiling
20 > anything for which the source has not changed.
21
22 True, but why recompile the kernel just to redo the initramfs?
23 As mentioned, I don't update/recompile the kernel as often.
24 "genkernel" puts the initramfs where it needs to be, kernel-make doesn't.
27 Joost