From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and softlevels
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 17:22:35
1 On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 25 Jan 2014 10:42:52 Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
4 > wrote:
5 >> > Any ideas anyone?
6 >>
7 >> Here's a manually written grub.cfg that should do pretty much what
8 >> your old menu.lst did.
9 >
10 > --->8
11 >
12 > Well, what a gent! I didn't mean to imply that someone should write it for me,
13 > but I'm deeply grateful anyway. I'll give it a try in a minute.
14 >
15 > Later: works like a charm! I tried a couple of kernels and they just booted.
18 Nice!
19
20 > Maybe it'll become clear over time how to arrange the input to grub2-mkconfig
21 > to achieve a similar result. Meanwhile I've removed the X bit from it.
24 grub-mkconfig is nice if you have relatively simple requirements. For
25 anything fancy (like your setup) I prefer to just write it by hand.
26
27 The manual has pretty good documentation on all of the commands and
28 variables available; it's just a bit difficult to figure out which
29 ones you need and in what order.
30
31 > Looks like your suggestions "insmod all_video" and "terminal_output gfxterm"
32 > do the trick. Now all I have to do is (create and?) specify a character set
33 > that (a) can display all the required characters and (b) is big enough to
34 > read. Something like the size of the character set in legacy grub would do
35 > nicely.
38 grub2 is able to load any font you like; you just need to convert it
39 to "pf2" format using the grub-mkfont utility. You may need to enable
40 the truetype use flag to get that installed.
41
42 By default, it provides a font called "unifont", which is a little
43 ugly but has very good unicode coverage. You can load it by adding
44 this to your grub.cfg:
45
46 loadfont unicode