From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and softlevels
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 17:09:05
1 On Saturday 25 Jan 2014 10:42:52 Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3 wrote:
4 > > Any ideas anyone?
5 >
6 > Here's a manually written grub.cfg that should do pretty much what
7 > your old menu.lst did.
8
9 --->8
10
11 Well, what a gent! I didn't mean to imply that someone should write it for me,
12 but I'm deeply grateful anyway. I'll give it a try in a minute.
13
14 Later: works like a charm! I tried a couple of kernels and they just booted.
15
16 Maybe it'll become clear over time how to arrange the input to grub2-mkconfig
17 to achieve a similar result. Meanwhile I've removed the X bit from it.
18
19 Some time ago I found a guide to creating menu.cfg manually, but when I tried
20 booting via it grub just stopped, as if waiting for something from me. I
21 deduced that I needed some other stuff called in, besides all the kernel
22 specifiers, but not knowing what, I just left it pro tem.
23
24 Looks like your suggestions "insmod all_video" and "terminal_output gfxterm"
25 do the trick. Now all I have to do is (create and?) specify a character set
26 that (a) can display all the required characters and (b) is big enough to
27 read. Something like the size of the character set in legacy grub would do
28 nicely.
29
30 Anyway, that can be an exercise for me this wet, windy weekend; then perhaps
31 I'll feel confident enough to unmerge grub:0. Many thanks for your hard work,
32 Mike.
35 Regards
36 Peter