From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] router woes
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 19:24:50
1 On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Am Wed, 29 Mar 2017 04:52:08 -0700
3 > schrieb Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
6 >> wrote:
7 >> > On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 22:52:25 -0700, Jorge Almeida wrote:
8 >> >
9 >>
10 >> >
11 > >
12 >> >
13 >> The ISP provided router is officially managed (whatever this means) by
14 >> them. As to privacy, I know a packet is visible once it leaves the
15 >> router via Wan port. What I worry a bit is about the possibility of
16 >> foul play towards the home network. The computers are firewalled via
17 >> iptables, but accept connections from 192.168.... What prevents a
18 >> hacked router of impersonating a local origin?
19 >
20 > Block packets originating from the router MAC address and that don't
21 > belong to a known connection. Then deploy a managed switch that can do
22 > MAC address filtering so it allows only the one MAC address on the
23 > router port. This should be safe enough. It would be difficult to get
24 > around such a setup. To be even more safe, use VLAN and exclude all
25 > your computers from the management port.
26 >
27 > This, however, doesn't prevent tampering with packets on their way
28 > through the router. You could use VPN and place the tunnel endpoints
29 > only on trusted routers. That way, your ISP only relays VPN traffic,
30 > and ensures the transfer networks below are only used for VPN and your
31 > machines accept nothing else.
32 >
33 > --
34 Assuming that the router speed issue has no solution, I think I'll
35 adopt a different setup: All computers (just 3) with 2 network cards;
36 one card connected to the ISP router, rejecting all incoming packets
37 that are not part of an established connection; the other card
38 connected to one of my routers, accepting local connections
39 (different subnet from the one associated with the ISP router;
40 computers with static IPs, for good measure); This secondary router
41 has the Wan port disconnected (is this the same as a switch?). This
42 should allow the home computers to communicate with each other without
43 any outside interference. Am I missing something?
44
45 Regards
46
47 Jorge