From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] router woes
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 19:56:27
1 I have a similar setup here in Frontier territory. The ADSL circuit
2 connects to their Netgeat/Westell B90
3 which has wifi and 4 ethernet ports. One ethernet port connects to my
4 "internal" DLink-615 which serves
5 the rest of the unit.
6
7 The only limiting link is the ADSL link, the rest of the place runs at
8 10/100/1000 depending on the device
9 capabilities and switch limits. The DLink has a decent processor and only
10 loses its mind occasionally when
11 a memory leak in their implementation overwrites part of the routing
12 tables. We reboot the DLink daily to avoid
13 this problem. The B90 needs a reboot on occasion when Frontier does
14 something to their internal gateways
15 that makes the B90 lose sync.
16
17 The DLink uses MAC filtering to only allow known devices to use its
18 services (wifi and ether.) In both the B90
19 and the DLink there are some virtual servers defined for bitorrent and a
20 few other protocols. Otherwise, both
21 devices NAT connections. The double NATting doesn't cause any real
22 problems, but XBox services detects that
23 they are double NATted and complain mildly but work anyway. DNS works fine,
24 but Frontier blocks certain inbound
25 ports (HTTP/S, SMTP, etc.) so most servers are out of the question.
26
27 I know you have detected that the TP-link is underpowered and limiting your
28 speeds, so replacing that seems
29 to be you best option.
30
31 I'm having ATT FTTH put in early next month and I'm going to opt for SMTP
32 capability (at an extra charge) but still
33 no HTTP servers are allowed for consumer/residential connections
36 G.Wolfe Woodbury
37 redwolfe@×××××.com