From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] glibc-2.4-r2: Problems with UTF-8 locale
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 08:43:51
1 Hello!
2
3 Yesterday I updated from glibc-2.4-r1 to glibc-2.4-r2. Since then,
4 I've got problems with my UTF-8 locale. I suppose, that is because
5 the UTF-8 denomination seems to have changed from .UTF-8 to .utf8:
6
7 [10:17:42 vz6tml@dewup-ww02:~] $ locale -a
8 locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
9 locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
10 locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
11 C
12 POSIX
13 de_DE
14 de_DE.utf8
15 de_DE@euro
16 en_US
17 en_US.utf8
18
19 Before glibc-2.4-r2, it used to be "de_DE.UTF-8" and nto "de_DE.utf8".
20 I'm also concerned about those first 3 error messages reg. LC_CTYP,
21 LC_MESSAGES and LC_COLLATE.
22
23 Now, when I start some program like vncserver (actually: perl), I get:
24
25 [10:18:31 vz6tml@dewup-ww02:~] $ vncserver -help
26 perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
27 perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
28 LANGUAGE = (unset),
29 LC_ALL = (unset),
30 LANG = "de_DE.utf8"
31 are supported and installed on your system.
32 perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
33
34 usage: vncserver [:<number>] [-name <desktop-name>] [-depth <depth>]
35 [-geometry <width>x<height>]
36 [-pixelformat rgbNNN|bgrNNN]
37 <Xvnc-options>...
38
39 vncserver -kill <X-display>
40
41 That's also especially annoying with KDE programs (I normally
42 use Gnome). There, when I enter a "special character" like the
43 German "ö", I only see 2 empty blocks: ?? But that seems only
44 to affect my local display, it's send out just fine. As an example,
45 please see <http://groups.google.de/group/de.test/msg/4eacf9dd61807ad2?dmode=source>
46
47 Well - what to do now?
48
49 Thanks,
50
51 Alexander Skwar
52 --
53 If a 6600 used paper tape instead of core memory, it would use up tape
54 at about 30 miles/second.
55 -- Grishman, Assembly Language Programming
56 --
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list