From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: but cool - NASDAQ is gentoo powered
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 23:36:48
1 On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Am 16.08.2011 23:06, schrieb Paul Hartman:
3 >
4 >> I became afraid after reading this wiki page, especially the part
5 >> about removing openrc and making your own init.d and conf.d entries:
6 >>
7 >> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Systemd
8 >>
9 >> :)
10 >
11 > I read through parts of http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html
12 > now ... (coming from your mentioned url)
13 >
14 > Yeah, sounds scary.
15 >
16 > I might play with this inside a VM some rainy day ... using
17 > suspend-to-ram and SSDs both in thinkpad and desktop, so boot-times are
18 > OK and not a problem.
19 >
20 > So this doesn't really motivate me to take these risks ;-)
21
22 The boot-times are a nice consequence of systemd, but certainly not
23 the only reason to use it. I've been using it for several months, and
24 IMHO it's far superior than OpenRC, which anyways is a fine init
25 system.
26
27 But of course, if you're happy with OpenRC and nothing interest you
28 from systemd, there is no reason to change. For me, the boot-times and
29 the fact that most of the services I use have a .service unit file
30 written by the authors of the package in question is enough for me.
31
32 Regards.
33 --
34 Canek Peláez Valdés