From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clone XP-Virtual to a file
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 02:47:40
1 On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:37 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > How to close virtualbox machine (windows xp) to a file?
3 > I need to transfer it to another box.
4 >
5 > I made some notes but they are old so I'm not sure if they are applicable or
6 > there is an easier way.
7 >
8 > ===========
9 > 1) Shut down the virtual machine you would like to copy
10 > 2) In File > Virtual Media Manager, select the virtual machine disk image
11 > you would like to copy, and press the Release button
12 > 3) In a terminal window, issue following command (see virtualbox user
13 > manual):
14 >
15 > VBoxManage clonehd (complete-path)/directory/image1.vdi
16 > (complete_path)/directory/image2.vdi
17 > VBoxManage clonehd /home/thelma/.VirtualBox/HardDisk/xp-clinic.vdi
18 > /home/thelma/xp-clinic.vdi
19 >
20 > 4) In File > Virtualdiskmanager, add the new disk image you've created in
21 > step 3.
22 > 5) In the main virtualbox window, press the New button to create a new
23 > virtual machine, and link it to the new disk image you've created.
24 >
25 > To re-attache the vdi:
26 > Next we have to undo the Release we did before so that we can continue using
27 > our Virtual Machine. In VirtualBox main Window select the Virtual Machine
28 > (1) and press the Settings button (2). Go to Storage (3) IDE Controller
29 > (left window - empty); "right click" on "IDE Controller" and press the Add
30 > Hard Disk button (in the left window (4). Here select your initial .vdi file
31 > (5) and your Virtual Machine will be ok.
32 > ============
33 >
34 > I've noticed there is a "Clone" menu. Do I use it and just tar.gz entire
35 > folder to a new machine?
36 >
37 > --
38 > Joseph
41 File -> Export Appliance
42 <copy to the new system>
43 File -> Import Appliance
44 <verify that settings carried over right>
45
46 It should carry the configuration over fairly completely, though it's
47 been a long while since I last used it, and I've not tested it between
48 overly diverse host hardware.
51 Poison [BLX]
52 Joshua M. Murphy