From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Options for "emerge"
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:40:43
1 Greetings,
2
3 some time back it was pointed out on this list to only use "--changed-
4 use" rather than "--newuse". So I've meanwhile removed this option (and
5 also a few others) from my update script which I had created early after
6 installing Gentoo. It now basically runs
7
8 $ sudo emerge --ask --verbose-conflicts --changed-deps \
9 --changed-use --deep --update @world
10
11 But if I understand the "emerge" manual page correctly, "--changed-deps"
12 causes a rebuild of a package, if one of its dependencies has been re-
13 build, even though the package does not require the newer version of the
14 dependency. So does it really make sense to have this option hardcoded
15 in a script? Or does it just cause plenty of package rebuilds without
16 any real effect? Likewise, what about "--deep"? Should I keep it?
17
18 Sincerely,
19 Rainer