From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:37:56
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 10:08:02 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >
4 >> The main thing about this whole initramfs thing is, like Dale, I just
5 >> don't understand it. I understand grub and grub.conf. I understand
6 >> enough about compiling a kernel to be able to get it done and be
7 >> reasonably sure it is done right.
8 >>
9 >> But if my system ever failed to boot because of a problem with the
10 >> initramfs, I basically would be hosed.
11 >
12 > I was the same. I learned about GRUB and then I understood it. Then I
13 > switched to Gentoo and learned about kernel compilation and then I
14 > understood it. A while ago, i had a need for an initramfs, so I learned
15 > about it and now I understand it. Somewhere in this sequence I also
16 > switched to GRUB2, which i previously had no knowledge of.
17 >
18 > Do you see the pattern, your lack of understanding is not a failing of
19 > the software? This is not a technological point, or even a political one,
20 > it is about being outside of your comfort zone. Using Gentoo is an
21 > exercise in expanding your comfort zone.
26 It's not about comfort zone for me. It's that I do NOT want to use a
27 init thingy. Period. Real simple. I had fits with that thing in the
28 past and I do not want to revisit the issue again, certainly not on
29 Gentoo. I'm not going to revisit hal either. I forgot the name but not
30 the lesson I learned from it.
31
32 I might also add, I switched to grub2 a while back. The old grub worked
33 fine but I wanted to go ahead and switch to the new grub since it seems
34 to be ready and stable. Was that outside my comfort zone? I switched
35 anyway because I was ready to do it. No real need but I had the
36 experience of the old grub to rely on. At least the old grub never
37 failed me. Init thingys has, many times.
38
39 Dale
40
44 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
45 how you interpreted my words!