From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:00:39
1 On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:37:47 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > Do you see the pattern, your lack of understanding is not a failing of
4 > > the software? This is not a technological point, or even a political
5 > > one, it is about being outside of your comfort zone. Using Gentoo is
6 > > an exercise in expanding your comfort zone.
7
8 > It's not about comfort zone for me. It's that I do NOT want to use a
9 > init thingy. Period. Real simple. I had fits with that thing in the
10 > past and I do not want to revisit the issue again, certainly not on
11 > Gentoo. I'm not going to revisit hal either. I forgot the name but not
12 > the lesson I learned from it.
13
14 I realise that, you do have a real knack for breaking things, and thus a
15 strong motivation for avoiding anything new, or that bit you in the past.
16
17 > I might also add, I switched to grub2 a while back. The old grub worked
18 > fine but I wanted to go ahead and switch to the new grub since it seems
19 > to be ready and stable. Was that outside my comfort zone?
20
21 almost certainly. It is for anyone used to legacy GRUB. Is it outside of
22 your comfort now? No, because you took the trouble to learn how to use
23 it. I was exactly the same with GRUB2, and with init doodahs. now I am
24 not only capable of using and breaking both, but also of having a good go
25 at cleaning up the mess afterwards :)
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 What did the first man to discover you can get milk from cows think he
32 was doing? - anon.