From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:16:45
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:37:47 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Do you see the pattern, your lack of understanding is not a failing of
5 >>> the software? This is not a technological point, or even a political
6 >>> one, it is about being outside of your comfort zone. Using Gentoo is
7 >>> an exercise in expanding your comfort zone.
8 >
9 >> It's not about comfort zone for me. It's that I do NOT want to use a
10 >> init thingy. Period. Real simple. I had fits with that thing in the
11 >> past and I do not want to revisit the issue again, certainly not on
12 >> Gentoo. I'm not going to revisit hal either. I forgot the name but not
13 >> the lesson I learned from it.
14 >
15 > I realise that, you do have a real knack for breaking things, and thus a
16 > strong motivation for avoiding anything new, or that bit you in the past.
17 >
18 >> I might also add, I switched to grub2 a while back. The old grub worked
19 >> fine but I wanted to go ahead and switch to the new grub since it seems
20 >> to be ready and stable. Was that outside my comfort zone?
21 >
22 > almost certainly. It is for anyone used to legacy GRUB. Is it outside of
23 > your comfort now? No, because you took the trouble to learn how to use
24 > it. I was exactly the same with GRUB2, and with init doodahs. now I am
25 > not only capable of using and breaking both, but also of having a good go
26 > at cleaning up the mess afterwards :)
31 You missed my whole point. You can't claim it is because it is new and
32 outside my comfort zone because even tho grub2 was new to me, it was not
33 outside my comfort zone. Grub2 is very little like the old grub. It is
34 just plain outright new actually. The thing is, grub has a track record
35 of WORKING for ME. The init thingy has a record of FAILING for me. The
36 init thing has not changed just the tools that make them have changed.
37 The point is, I don't care what tool is used to make the init thingy, I
38 don't want to use one. If it fails, I don't know how to fix it any
39 better today than I did back then.
40
41 To put it simply, if a init thingy is forced on me, the first time this
42 rig fails to boot and I can't figure out how to fix it, I'll be
43 installing some distro that is at least faster to reinstall. This isn't
44 the first time I have posted that either. I love my Gentoo but if it
45 breaks and I can't fix it, it is of no use to me on my puter. I love my
46 little car that I have had for almost 20 years but if it stops getting
47 me from point A to point B then I need a different car.
48
49 Dale
50
54 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
55 how you interpreted my words!