From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 22:23:34
1 On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 16:16:31 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > You missed my whole point. You can't claim it is because it is new and
4 > outside my comfort zone because even tho grub2 was new to me, it was not
5 > outside my comfort zone. Grub2 is very little like the old grub. It is
6 > just plain outright new actually. The thing is, grub has a track record
7 > of WORKING for ME.
8
9 Well, the post of mine you quoted wasn't in response to your comments.
10 But the point remains, not for you but for the quoted post I was actually
11 replying to. An initramfs is n more magic than GRUB, or LVM,, or many
12 other software components. You don't understand it until you take the
13 time to learn about it. That was true of you with GRUB2 and is true of
14 the post I replied to about an initramfs.
15
16 > The init thingy has a record of FAILING for me. The
17 > init thing has not changed just the tools that make them have changed.
18
19 That's not actually true. Ten years ago you'd have been using a 2.4
20 kernel with an initrd. That is quite different to how the 2.6/3 kernels
21 use an initramfs.
22
23 > The point is, I don't care what tool is used to make the init thingy, I
24 > don't want to use one. If it fails, I don't know how to fix it any
25 > better today than I did back then.
26
27 I am not suggesting that you should use an initramfs. I was merely
28 pointing out that having no current understanding or experience of
29 something is no reason not to gain both. Please note that this was posted
31 does not apply to you, even though your experience is somewhat tangential.
32
33 > To put it simply, if a init thingy is forced on me, the first time
34 > this rig fails to boot and I can't figure out how to fix
35 > it, I'll be installing some distro that is at least faster to reinstall.
36 > This isn't the first time I have posted that either. I love my Gentoo
37 > but if it breaks and I can't fix it, it is of no use to me on my puter.
38
39 That's a fair comment. Objecting to something that is broken for you is
40 completely different to avoiding things just because they are new or
41 different.
42
43 But them I'm the sort of person that's about to install systemd on a test
44 VM just to see what all the fuss is about (I probably won't like it
45 because I'll miss those little green OKs when booting :).
49 Neil Bothwick
50
51 Top Oxymorons Number 5: Twelve-ounce pound cake