From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:52:30
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> Hi,
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I got one more hard drive to move over and it is SATA. Question one, can
12 >>>> the new mobo's do hot plugging for SATA drives? I have a plug on the
13 >>>> front
14 >>>> of the case and was wondering since it is on the front if they can be hot
15 >>>> swapped or if I need to shutdown then hook it up. If I can hot swap,
16 >>>> where
17 >>>> does the power come from? I know the drives I put in the case have a
18 >>>> separate power connection. How's that work exactly? Is that just for
19 >>>> external drives that have their own power?
20 >>>>
21 >>>> I have two dries in here already. One I bought and one that was donated.
22 >>>> This is what hdparm reports:
23 >>>>
24 >>>> fireball ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sda
25 >>>>
26 >>>> /dev/sda:
27 >>>> Timing cached reads: 6788 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3395.32 MB/sec
28 >>>> Timing buffered disk reads: 328 MB in 3.01 seconds = 109.06 MB/sec
29 >>>> fireball ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb
30 >>>>
31 >>>> /dev/sdb:
32 >>>> Timing cached reads: 6736 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3367.58 MB/sec
33 >>>> Timing buffered disk reads: 324 MB in 3.01 seconds = 107.69 MB/sec
34 >>>> fireball ~ #
35 >>>>
36 >>>> Is that about normal? The mobo is 3Gbs/sec and the drives are too.
37 >>>> Shouldn't they be faster than that? I read at one time that SATA is
38 >>>> basically plug up and it works. Just checking if there is a setting I
39 >>>> need
40 >>>> to change.
41 >>>>
42 >>>> Related to the above, in the BIOS, it is set to Native IDE. Should that
43 >>>> be
44 >>>> set to AHCI instead? Is that why it is slower than expected? Is that
45 >>>> good
46 >>>> to go with Linux as well? I have this set in the kernel and built in as
47 >>>> usual:
48 >>>>
49 >>>> AHCI SATA support
50 >>>>
51 >>>> Let me know if I am somewhat right on anything. Oh, I decided to name
52 >>>> the
53 >>>> new rig fireball instead of lightening. ;-) You may notice that in the
54 >>>> paste up above.
55 >>>>
56 >>>> Thanks.
57 >>>>
58 >>>> Dale
59 >>>>
60 >>>>
61 >>> The SATA spec allows for hot plugging, so technically yes, but it also
62 >>> assumes the drives are in some sort of container so that power and
63 >>> signals are applied at the right time.
64 >>>
65 >>> The plug on the front of your case is probably eSATA which looks
66 >>> similar but has some small changes. What you want to do is figure out
67 >>> which of your MB SATA ports are eSATA compatible and then run one of
68 >>> those channels to the connector at the front inside your case.
69 >>> Typically SATA drives are converted to eSATA external drives by
70 >>> putting them in a case you can get at most computer shops for< $30 or
71 >>> so.
72 >>>
73 >>> Hope this helps,
74 >>> Mark
75 >>>
76 >>>
77 >>>
78 >> I did hook the eSATA cable that goes to the front of the case to the eSATA
79 >> connector on the mobo. Thing is, I think they are all eSATA compatible tho.
80 >> I think that is what I read in the mobo book. Yea, I read the book. I
81 >> even followed the instructions for the CPU cooler too. lol
82 >>
83 >> I was thinking it needed some sort of power for the drive tho. I didn't
84 >> think it was like USB stuff.
85 >>
86 >> Thanks for the info.
87 >>
88 >> Dale
89 >>
90 > One of my MBs had 6 SATA connectors but only two were eSATA compatible.
91 >
92 > Power for my eSATA drive is supplied by the case.
93 >
94 > Hope this helps,
95 > Mark
99 It does. It was the one on the front that made me curious tho. I have
100 used USB for a while but was curious about how it works on the front
101 with no power for it. I think I'll leave that one alone for now. May
102 get brave another day tho.
103
104 Thanks.
105