From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:38:55
1 On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com>  wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> Hi,
8 >>>
9 >>> I got one more hard drive to move over and it is SATA.  Question one, can
10 >>> the new mobo's do hot plugging for SATA drives?  I have a plug on the
11 >>> front
12 >>> of the case and was wondering since it is on the front if they can be hot
13 >>> swapped or if I need to shutdown then hook it up.  If I can hot swap,
14 >>> where
15 >>> does the power come from?  I know the drives I put in the case have a
16 >>> separate power connection.  How's that work exactly?  Is that just for
17 >>> external drives that have their own power?
18 >>>
19 >>> I have two dries in here already.  One I bought and one that was donated.
20 >>>  This is what hdparm reports:
21 >>>
22 >>> fireball ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sda
23 >>>
24 >>> /dev/sda:
25 >>>  Timing cached reads:   6788 MB in  2.00 seconds = 3395.32 MB/sec
26 >>>  Timing buffered disk reads:  328 MB in  3.01 seconds = 109.06 MB/sec
27 >>> fireball ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb
28 >>>
29 >>> /dev/sdb:
30 >>>  Timing cached reads:   6736 MB in  2.00 seconds = 3367.58 MB/sec
31 >>>  Timing buffered disk reads:  324 MB in  3.01 seconds = 107.69 MB/sec
32 >>> fireball ~ #
33 >>>
34 >>> Is that about normal?  The mobo is 3Gbs/sec and the drives are too.
35 >>>  Shouldn't they be faster than that?  I read at one time that SATA is
36 >>> basically plug up and it works.  Just checking if there is a setting I
37 >>> need
38 >>> to change.
39 >>>
40 >>> Related to the above, in the BIOS, it is set to Native IDE.  Should that
41 >>> be
42 >>> set to AHCI instead?  Is that why it is slower than expected?  Is that
43 >>> good
44 >>> to go with Linux as well?  I have this set in the kernel and built in as
45 >>> usual:
46 >>>
47 >>> AHCI SATA support
48 >>>
49 >>> Let me know if I am somewhat right on anything.  Oh, I decided to name
50 >>> the
51 >>> new rig fireball instead of lightening.  ;-)  You may notice that in the
52 >>> paste up above.
53 >>>
54 >>> Thanks.
55 >>>
56 >>> Dale
57 >>>
58 >>
59 >> The SATA spec allows for hot plugging, so technically yes, but it also
60 >> assumes the drives are in some sort of container so that power and
61 >> signals are applied at the right time.
62 >>
63 >> The plug on the front of your case is probably eSATA which looks
64 >> similar but has some small changes. What you want to do is figure out
65 >> which of your MB SATA ports are eSATA compatible and then run one of
66 >> those channels to the connector at the front inside your case.
67 >> Typically SATA drives are converted to eSATA external drives by
68 >> putting them in a case you can get at most computer shops for<  $30 or
69 >> so.
70 >>
71 >> Hope this helps,
72 >> Mark
76 > I did hook the eSATA cable that goes to the front of the case to the eSATA
77 > connector on the mobo.  Thing is, I think they are all eSATA compatible tho.
78 >  I think that is what I read in the mobo book.  Yea, I read the book.  I
79 > even followed the instructions for the CPU cooler too.  lol
80 >
81 > I was thinking it needed some sort of power for the drive tho.  I didn't
82 > think it was like USB stuff.
83 >
84 > Thanks for the info.
85 >
86 > Dale
87
88 One of my MBs had 6 SATA connectors but only two were eSATA compatible.
89
90 Power for my eSATA drive is supplied by the case.
91
92 Hope this helps,
93 Mark