From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:17:01
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I got one more hard drive to move over and it is SATA. Question one, can
7 >> the new mobo's do hot plugging for SATA drives? I have a plug on the front
8 >> of the case and was wondering since it is on the front if they can be hot
9 >> swapped or if I need to shutdown then hook it up. If I can hot swap, where
10 >> does the power come from? I know the drives I put in the case have a
11 >> separate power connection. How's that work exactly? Is that just for
12 >> external drives that have their own power?
13 >>
14 >> I have two dries in here already. One I bought and one that was donated.
15 >> This is what hdparm reports:
16 >>
17 >> fireball ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sda
18 >>
19 >> /dev/sda:
20 >> Timing cached reads: 6788 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3395.32 MB/sec
21 >> Timing buffered disk reads: 328 MB in 3.01 seconds = 109.06 MB/sec
22 >> fireball ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb
23 >>
24 >> /dev/sdb:
25 >> Timing cached reads: 6736 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3367.58 MB/sec
26 >> Timing buffered disk reads: 324 MB in 3.01 seconds = 107.69 MB/sec
27 >> fireball ~ #
28 >>
29 >> Is that about normal? The mobo is 3Gbs/sec and the drives are too.
30 >> Shouldn't they be faster than that? I read at one time that SATA is
31 >> basically plug up and it works. Just checking if there is a setting I need
32 >> to change.
33 >>
34 >> Related to the above, in the BIOS, it is set to Native IDE. Should that be
35 >> set to AHCI instead? Is that why it is slower than expected? Is that good
36 >> to go with Linux as well? I have this set in the kernel and built in as
37 >> usual:
38 >>
39 >> AHCI SATA support
40 >>
41 >> Let me know if I am somewhat right on anything. Oh, I decided to name the
42 >> new rig fireball instead of lightening. ;-) You may notice that in the
43 >> paste up above.
44 >>
45 >> Thanks.
46 >>
47 >> Dale
48 >>
49 > The SATA spec allows for hot plugging, so technically yes, but it also
50 > assumes the drives are in some sort of container so that power and
51 > signals are applied at the right time.
52 >
53 > The plug on the front of your case is probably eSATA which looks
54 > similar but has some small changes. What you want to do is figure out
55 > which of your MB SATA ports are eSATA compatible and then run one of
56 > those channels to the connector at the front inside your case.
57 > Typically SATA drives are converted to eSATA external drives by
58 > putting them in a case you can get at most computer shops for< $30 or
59 > so.
60 >
61 > Hope this helps,
62 > Mark
66 I did hook the eSATA cable that goes to the front of the case to the
67 eSATA connector on the mobo. Thing is, I think they are all eSATA
68 compatible tho. I think that is what I read in the mobo book. Yea, I
69 read the book. I even followed the instructions for the CPU cooler
70 too. lol
71
72 I was thinking it needed some sort of power for the drive tho. I didn't
73 think it was like USB stuff.
74
75 Thanks for the info.
76