From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hp H222 SAS controller
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 16:00:20
1 On 08/07/2013 17:39, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> ST4000DM000
5 >
6 > As a side-note these two Seagate 4TB "Desktop" edition drives I bought
7 > already, after about than 100 hours of power-on usage, both drives
8 > have each encountered dozens of unreadable sectors so far. I was able
9 > to correct them (force reallocation) using hdparm... So it should be
10 > "fixed", and I'm reading that this is "normal" with newer drives and
11 > "don't worry about it", but I'm still coming from the time when 1 bad
12 > sector = red alert, replace the drive ASAP. I guess I will need to
13 > monitor and see if it gets worse.
17 Way back when in the bad old days of drives measured in 100s of megs,
18 you'd get a few bad sectors now and then, and would have to mark them as
19 faulty. This didn't bother us then much
20
21 Nowadays we have drives that are 8,000 bigger than that so all other
22 things being equal we'd expect sectors to fail 8,000 time more (more
23 being a very fuzzy concept, and I know full well I'm using it loosely :-) )
24
25 Our drives nowadays also have smart firmware, something we had to
26 introduce when CHS no longer cut it, this lead to sector failures being
27 somewhat "invisible" leaving us with the happy delusion that drives were
28 vastly reliable etc etc etc. But you know all this.
29
30 A mere few dozen failures in the first 100 hours is a failure rate of
31 (Alan whips out the trust sci calculator) 4.8E-6%. Pretty damn
32 spectacular if you ask me and WELL within probabilities.
33
34 There is likely nothing wrong with your drives. If they are faulty, it's
35 highly likely a systemic manufacturing fault of the mechanicals (servo
36 systems, motor bearing etc)
37
38 You do realize that modern hard drives have for the longest time been up
39 there in the Top X list of Most Reliable Devices Made By Mankind Ever?
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com