From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hp H222 SAS controller
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 18:28:23
1 Am 08.07.2013 17:58, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On 08/07/2013 17:39, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Paul Hartman
4 >> <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> ST4000DM000
6 >>
7 >> As a side-note these two Seagate 4TB "Desktop" edition drives I bought
8 >> already, after about than 100 hours of power-on usage, both drives
9 >> have each encountered dozens of unreadable sectors so far. I was able
10 >> to correct them (force reallocation) using hdparm... So it should be
11 >> "fixed", and I'm reading that this is "normal" with newer drives and
12 >> "don't worry about it", but I'm still coming from the time when 1 bad
13 >> sector = red alert, replace the drive ASAP. I guess I will need to
14 >> monitor and see if it gets worse.
18 > Way back when in the bad old days of drives measured in 100s of megs,
19 > you'd get a few bad sectors now and then, and would have to mark them as
20 > faulty. This didn't bother us then much
21 >
22 > Nowadays we have drives that are 8,000 bigger than that so all other
23 > things being equal we'd expect sectors to fail 8,000 time more (more
24 > being a very fuzzy concept, and I know full well I'm using it loosely :-) )
25 >
26 > Our drives nowadays also have smart firmware, something we had to
27 > introduce when CHS no longer cut it, this lead to sector failures being
28 > somewhat "invisible" leaving us with the happy delusion that drives were
29 > vastly reliable etc etc etc. But you know all this.
30 >
31 > A mere few dozen failures in the first 100 hours is a failure rate of
32 > (Alan whips out the trust sci calculator) 4.8E-6%. Pretty damn
33 > spectacular if you ask me and WELL within probabilities.
34 >
35 > There is likely nothing wrong with your drives. If they are faulty, it's
36 > highly likely a systemic manufacturing fault of the mechanicals (servo
37 > systems, motor bearing etc)
38 >
39 > You do realize that modern hard drives have for the longest time been up
40 > there in the Top X list of Most Reliable Devices Made By Mankind Ever?
41
42 Does it make sense to apply some sort of burn-in-procedure before
43 actually formatting and using the disks? Running badblocks or something?
44
45 I ask because I wait for that shiny new server and doing so might not
46 hurt before installing gentoo. Or is that too paranoid and a waste of time?
47
48 Thanks, greets, Stefan