From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:02:23
1 On 21/12/22 14:19, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 05:53:03AM +0000 schrieb Wols Lists:
3 >
4 >> On 21/12/2022 02:47, Dale wrote:
5 >> ...
6 > In layman’s term, a stripe of mirrors. Raid-1 is the mirror, Raid-0 a (JBOD)
7 > pool. So mirror + pool = mirrorpool, hence the 1+0 → 10.
8 >
9 > ...
10
11 I tend to use older drives that have led a hard life - so failure
12 happens and I have to be prepared for it (by having good backups!)
13
14 I have found mirrors to be problematic  - sometimes when one drive
15 fails, it causes a cascade of fails that includes the data on the
16 mirror.  With raid-10, its worse (even more fragile). When I eventually
17 moved away from raid for my main data store it was because of a
18 catastrophic failure of a bcache ssd fronting one of the mirrors causing
19 all data to be lost - somewhat self-caused by using bcache to try and
20 get some more speed out of the system, but as a RAID 10 with 4 HDD
21 fronted by 4x SSD it should have survived ...  In the end, I realised
22 that raided data gave me a small speedup with little or no benefit as
23 regards reliable data storage.  I currently have one linux raid 10 using
24 4xSSD's that has suffered one SSD abrupt failure and survived - which I
25 regard as "being lucky".  SSD's are an issue as they usually fail
26 abruptly without warning whereas spinning rust usually gives some warning.
27
28 I've never tried RAID-6 as it was still considered buggy/risky at the time.
29
30 No matter what storage system you use, offline backups are better - raid
31 is NOT a viable backup.
32
33 > Fun, innit?
34 >