From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 06:20:12
1 Am Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 05:53:03AM +0000 schrieb Wols Lists:
2
3 > On 21/12/2022 02:47, Dale wrote:
4 > > I think if I can hold out a little while, something really nice is going
5 > > to come along.  It seems there is a good bit of interest in having a
6 > > Raspberry Pi NAS that gives really good performance.  I'm talking a NAS
7 > > that is about the same speed as a internal drive.  Plus the ability to
8 > > use RAID and such.  I'd like to have a 6 bay with 6 drives setup in
9 > > pairs for redundancy.  I can't recall what number RAID that is.
10 > > Basically, if one drive fails, another copy still exists.  Of course,
11 > > two independent NASs would be better in my opinion.  Still, any of this
12 > > is progress.
13 >
14 > That's called either Raid-10 (linux), or Raid-1+0 (elsewhere). Note that 1+0
15 > is often called 10, but linux-10 is slightly different.
16
17 In layman’s term, a stripe of mirrors. Raid-1 is the mirror, Raid-0 a (JBOD)
18 pool. So mirror + pool = mirrorpool, hence the 1+0 → 10.
19
20 > I'd personally be inclined to go for raid-6. That's 4 data drives, 2 parity
21 > (so you could have an "any two" drive failure and still recover).
22 > A two-copy 10 or 1+0 is vulnerable to a two-drive failure. A three-copy is
23 > vulnerable to a three-drive failure.
24
25 At first, I had only two drives in my 4-bay NAS, which were of course set up
26 as a mirror. After a year, when it became full, I bought the second pair of
27 drives and had long deliberations by then, what to choose. I went for raid-6
28 (or RaidZ2 in ZFS parlance). With only four disks, it has the same net
29 capacity as a pair of mirrors, but at the advantage that *any* two drives
30 may fail, not just two particular ones. A raid of mirrors has performance
31 benefits over a parity raid, but who cares for a simple Gbit storage device.
32
33 With increasing number of disks, a mirror setup is at a disadvantage with
34 storage efficiency – it’s always 50 % or less, if you mirror over more than
35 two disks. But with only four disks, that was irrelevant in my case. On the
36 plus-side, each mirror can have a different physical disk size, so you can
37 more easily mix’n’match what you got lying around, or do upgrades in smaller
38 increments.
39
40 If I wanted to increase my capacity, I’d have to replace *all* drives with
41 bigger ones. With a mirror, only the drives in one of the mirrors need
42 replacing. And the rebuild process would be quicker and less painful, as
43 each drive will only be read once to rebuild its partner, and there is no
44 parity calculation involved. In a RAID, each drive is replaced one by one,
45 and each replacement requires a full read of all drives’ payload. With older
46 drives, this is cause for some concern whether the disks may survive that.
47 That’s why, with increasing disk capacities, raid-5 is said to be obsolete.
48 Because if another drive fails during rebuild, you are officially screwed.
49
50 Fun, innit?
53 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
54 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
55
56 The boss is a human just like everyone else, he just doesn’t know.