From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 05:53:11
1 On 21/12/2022 02:47, Dale wrote:
2 > I think if I can hold out a little while, something really nice is going
3 > to come along.  It seems there is a good bit of interest in having a
4 > Raspberry Pi NAS that gives really good performance.  I'm talking a NAS
5 > that is about the same speed as a internal drive.  Plus the ability to
6 > use RAID and such.  I'd like to have a 6 bay with 6 drives setup in
7 > pairs for redundancy.  I can't recall what number RAID that is.
8 > Basically, if one drive fails, another copy still exists.  Of course,
9 > two independent NASs would be better in my opinion.  Still, any of this
10 > is progress.
11
12 That's called either Raid-10 (linux), or Raid-1+0 (elsewhere). Note that
13 1+0 is often called 10, but linux-10 is slightly different.
14
15 I'd personally be inclined to go for raid-6. That's 4 data drives, 2
16 parity (so you could have an "any two" drive failure and still recover).
17
18 A two-copy 10 or 1+0 is vulnerable to a two-drive failure. A three-copy
19 is vulnerable to a three-drive failure.
20
21 In other words, a two-copy raid-10 might be taken out by a failure that
22 a raid-6 will survive. A three-copy raid-10 might be taken out by a
23 failure that will take out a raid-6. Choose your poison :-)
24
25 Cheers,
26 Wol