From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 06:52:29
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 21/12/2022 02:47, Dale wrote:
3 >> I think if I can hold out a little while, something really nice is going
4 >> to come along.  It seems there is a good bit of interest in having a
5 >> Raspberry Pi NAS that gives really good performance.  I'm talking a NAS
6 >> that is about the same speed as a internal drive.  Plus the ability to
7 >> use RAID and such.  I'd like to have a 6 bay with 6 drives setup in
8 >> pairs for redundancy.  I can't recall what number RAID that is.
9 >> Basically, if one drive fails, another copy still exists.  Of course,
10 >> two independent NASs would be better in my opinion.  Still, any of this
11 >> is progress.
12 >
13 > That's called either Raid-10 (linux), or Raid-1+0 (elsewhere). Note
14 > that 1+0 is often called 10, but linux-10 is slightly different.
15 >
16 > I'd personally be inclined to go for raid-6. That's 4 data drives, 2
17 > parity (so you could have an "any two" drive failure and still recover).
18 >
19 > A two-copy 10 or 1+0 is vulnerable to a two-drive failure. A
20 > three-copy is vulnerable to a three-drive failure.
21 >
22 > In other words, a two-copy raid-10 might be taken out by a failure
23 > that a raid-6 will survive. A three-copy raid-10 might be taken out by
24 > a failure that will take out a raid-6. Choose your poison :-)
25 >
26 > Cheers,
27 > Wol
28 >
29 > .
33 This is why at some point, I'd like to have two sets of backups.  RAID
34 or not.  If I alternate between the two or update one weekly and the
35 other monthly, odds of both being lost for some reason is slim.  Nothing
36 is ever impossible but not very likely.  I could even keep the monthly
37 backup, or second backup, in a outbuilding.  That would protect from a
38 house fire or something.  I have a fire safe but still.
39
40 I'm hoping that this Raspberry thing will work out.  My reasons, I can
41 upgrade easily, change OS and/or software if I want plus I may can even
42 expand to a larger number of drives if needed.  Buying a pre-built NAS,
43 I think I'd be stuck with whatever I bought.  Most likely no path for
44 upgrade, changing OS and/or software or much of anything else either.
45 Basically, it is what it is when I buy it.  Given the info in the video
46 you shared, I think something good is coming as soon as things get back
47 to going again.
48
49 Thanks again for the link.  It lead to some other good videos too.
50
51 Dale
52