From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Options null for ext4 as root fs
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 19:58:34
1 On Tuesday 28 December 2010 17:23:22 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > What is the meaning of Opts: (null) ?
4 >
5 > My guess is that it is showing the default mount options as stored in
6 > the partition's superblock (set by tune2fs -o xxxxx). You can view the
7 > current default mount options by using "tune2fs -l /dev/sda1" (or
8 > whatever your partition is). Options given on mount commandline (or in
9 > fstab) should override the superblock mount options.
10 >
11 > My dmesg shows (null) as yours does, and tune2fs shows me:
12 > Default mount options: (none)
13
14 OK, same as mine.
17 > > All ext4 partitions were created with a number of options; e.g.
18 > >
19 > > Filesystem features: has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index
20 > > filetype needs_recovery extent flex_bg sparse_super large_file uninit_bg
21 > > dir_nlink extra_isize
22 >
23 > Those are characteristics of your filesystem but I don't think they
24 > are considered mount options in this context.
25
26 Yes, that's right, but they affect some mount options if the latter are
27 explicitly set at fstab.
30 > You can view the actual mount options currently in use by doing "cat
31 > /proc/mounts"
32 >
33 > In my fstab I have "defaults,noatime" for my rootfs and in
34 > /proc/mounts it shows as:
35 >
36 > /dev/root / ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
37 >
38 > which looks correct to me.
41 Same here:
42
43 /dev/root / ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
44
45 Is that all that is required for ext4? Do we need to define anything else to
46 take advantage of the various ext4 options (see below)?
47
48 http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt#125
49 --
50 Regards,