From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Options null for ext4 as root fs
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:25:03
1 On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > What is the meaning of Opts: (null) ?
3
4 My guess is that it is showing the default mount options as stored in
5 the partition's superblock (set by tune2fs -o xxxxx). You can view the
6 current default mount options by using "tune2fs -l /dev/sda1" (or
7 whatever your partition is). Options given on mount commandline (or in
8 fstab) should override the superblock mount options.
9
10 My dmesg shows (null) as yours does, and tune2fs shows me:
11 Default mount options: (none)
12
13 > All ext4 partitions were created with a number of options; e.g.
14 >
15 > Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype
16 > needs_recovery extent flex_bg sparse_super large_file uninit_bg dir_nlink
17 > extra_isize
18
19 Those are characteristics of your filesystem but I don't think they
20 are considered mount options in this context.
21
22 > but default mount options are shown as:
23 >
24 > Default mount options:    (none)
25 >
26 > Should I be defining something in fstab?  (currently I only have noatime).
27
28 You can view the actual mount options currently in use by doing "cat
29 /proc/mounts"
30
31 In my fstab I have "defaults,noatime" for my rootfs and in
32 /proc/mounts it shows as:
33
34 /dev/root / ext4 rw,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
35
36 which looks correct to me.