From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:49:18
1 On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
2 >> From: Dale [mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com]
3 >
4 >> This has been one of my points too.  I could go out and buy me a bluetooth
5 >> mouse/keyboard but I don't because it to complicates matters.
6 >
7 > I had a long reply to Walt that I (probably wisely) decided not to send, but
8 > the basic point of it is also relevant here. My response to his (IMO
9 > needlessly aggressive) email was basically this:
10 >
11 > Why *shouldn't I* be able to go but a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse if I
12 > wanted to? Those things *work perfectly fine with udev*. And why wouldn't I
13 > want to use the *same* solution for all of my various machines, even if that
14 > solution is "overkill" for half of them? Just because my laptop doesn't need
15 > bluetoothd support in udev doesn't mean using udev there *is bad*. (I don't
16 > need 80% of what's in the Linux kernel but I still install one...)
17
18 I wouldn't say you shouldn't be able to. (Outside that I think
19 Bluetooth is a pile of smelly carp, people shouldn't have to bend over
20 backwards to support, but that's a different issue...)
23 > I am not in any way denigrating the work he's doing. I think it's awesome
24 > and I've tried to help where I can. But I'm pretty fed up with people like
25 > him acting as if the current udev solution is the end of the world. I've
26 > heard it called everything from "design mistake" to "out of control truck
27 > full of manure".
28
29 "design mistake" is a perfectly reasonable description, and I'd agree
30 with that. It's also not pejorative, but I'd say the two vocal sides
31 of the issue are far too polarized to notice that. "truck full of
32 manure" is probably a bit far, but that description only holds if
33 important things which shouldn't need a dependency on udev gain or
34 keep them. Rather like how installing a console Qt app on a Debian
35 server pulls in X.
38 > I have three PCs in my home running Gentoo. Two of them would boot correctly
39 > using Walt's new solution (mdev and no /usr mounted at boot) and one would
40 > not. *All three of them* boot correctly using udev. 100% success > 66%
41 > success, so clearly the udev solution is a perfectly legitimate solution to
42 > a real world problem. At work, those numbers are likely different, and
43 > Walt's solution might be a working approach -- if udev didn't already work
44 > fine in 100% of those cases, too.
45
46 Sure.
49 > Instead of asking why everyone else should be "forced" to use the udev
50 > solution *that already works*, you should be focusing on explaining to
51 > everyone else the reasons why it is worth the time and effort to configure
52 > *something different* for those same machines.
53
54 There's little use in explaining to someone why they should use
55 something apart from what they're comfortable with. Moving out of a
56 comfort zone requires personal motivation, not external. If udev works
57 for someone, they should use it. If they discover udev is getting in
58 their way, then they should look for alternatives.
59
60 I use apache2+squid3 on my server, despite hordes of people telling me
61 I should use nginx. Apache+squid works appropriately well for my
62 circumstance.
63
64 > There was a reason why people
65 > stopped using static /dev, and devfs; maybe there is a reason why people
66 > should stop using udev, but thus far that reason seems to be "initramfs
67 > makes us cranky."
68
69 *That* is a matter of systemic complexity and maintenance difficulty;
70 the increased complexity tickles the spider senses of anyone who's had
71 to design, develop or maintain very complex systems with few
72 leave-alone black boxes. It's very difficult to increase the
73 complexity of a system without adding bugs or mistakes anywhere from
74 code to testing procedures to package management to end-user
75 maintenance. So when a system starts becoming more complex, and I'm
76 told that I'm going to have to go along for the ride, I get concerned.
77 Before Walt started pulling mdev from being a busybox-only component,
78 that was exactly the scenario. (Thank you, Walt!)
79
80 The only cases I've ever conceivably needed to use an initramfs have
81 been where I needed a kernel module available early. Rather than build
82 that as a module and build an initramfs, I simply build it into the
83 kernel. Certainly, there are portions of the kernel (particularly some
84 sound cards) where that doesn't work, and if someone needs those
85 portions available early, then an initramfs is going to be the tool
86 for them.
89 > There's no need to get mean-spirited just because you choose a different
90 > audience that freedesktop.org as the target for your solution.
91
92 That's really not the reason for it. I mean, sure, I think the initial
93 reactions were mostly grumpiness and misinformed outrage, but I don't
94 think the contrariness really *baked* in until people got a twofer of
95 "you're going to use udev unless you write the code to get around it"
96 and "oh, you're writing the code? You're wasting your time and you're
97 going to fail." That, I think, is when the real malaise set in.
98
99 > It just makes
100 > you look petty and childish. Produce an alternative to
101 > "udev/initramfs/single root" that works, provide (accurate) details on the
102 > differences, and let users pick which one they want.
103
104 I concur.
105
106 For my part, I expect I'll use mdev in some circumstances, udev in
107 others. Right tool for the right job, and all that.
110 :wq