From: "Jürgen Geuter" <tante@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Uninstalling KDE packages
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:18:41
1 On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 22:46 +0200, Vlad Dogaru wrote:
2
3 > I would like to know if unmerging KWallet (also the eduitainment suite
4 > and possibly even Kopette and Konqueror) is safe.
5
6 When you install "kde" or "kde-meta" it pulls the whole K Desktop
7 Environment, including the IM program (kopete) and Kwallet and all that
8 as dependencies (some will be left out depending on your useflags of
9 course).
10
11 If you unmerge kopete for example, the next merge of kde will pull it
12 back in cause it is a dependency.
13
14 Konqueror is needed by most KDE programs, it's a really integral part of
15 kde, so unmerging it will break stuff.
16
17 > How can I tell for
18 > other packages? Is emerge --unmerge enough or do other measures have
19 > to be taken? Also, in the case of a fresh install, how can I choose
20 > what KDE installs? Do I have to run emerge kde, or would kdelibs,
21 > kdebase, etc (along with their dependencies of course) suffice?
22
23 You either have to live with installed applications you don't wanna use
24 or you have to get rid of "kde" and just select the k-applications you
25 actually want (they'll install what they need). Another way might be to
26 build your own kde-light package that depends on fewer stuff.
27
28 Jürgen
31 ICQ #81510866 - http://the-gay-bar.com - MSN thanatos@××××××××××.cx
32 "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"