From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : CPU : AMD FX-4100 ?
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:14:46
1 Am 30.07.2012 19:14, schrieb Michael Mol:
2 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> <SNIP>
5 >>>
6 >>> Amp meters are less than $50 USD. They clamp around the
7 >>> power cord, or any wires inside the computer you can fit
8 >>> the "clamp" around.
9 >>
10 >> <SNIP>
11 >>>
12 >>> hth,
13 >>> James
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >> I haven't read this thread but I do use one of these which costs less than $20:
17 >>
18 >> http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=pd_sim_hi_1
19 >>
20 >> Personally I think CPU power consumption is a red herring without
21 >> including the power consumed by the rest of the box:
22 >>
23 >> MB power?
24 >> Hard drive power?
25 >> Hard disk power
26 >> GPU power?
27 >> DRAM power?
28 >>
29 >> The 5 above can easily become the dominant power hogs.
30 >>
31 >> I use an Intel i7 980X 6-core hyper-threaded CPU, so that's 12 CPUs in
32 >> top, which burns _lots_ of power, but I suspect it's not the biggest
33 >> power consumer when compared to the total of the 6 500GB 7200 RPM hard
34 >> drives I have in the box.
35 >
36 > Spinning disks consume surprisingly little power once they're up to
37 > speed. My GPU, by comparison, doesn't seem to reduce heat generation
38 > very much when relatively idle.
41 When I built my NAS box I did meassure the power consumption of my box,
42 first with one HD, then two, three and so one. And I figured that one of
43 my (Samsung) HDs uses about 5 Watts when running idle.