From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : CPU : AMD FX-4100 ?
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:16:36
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >> Amp meters are less than $50 USD. They clamp around the
6 >> power cord, or any wires inside the computer you can fit
7 >> the "clamp" around.
8 >
9 > <SNIP>
10 >>
11 >> hth,
12 >> James
15 > I haven't read this thread but I do use one of these which costs less than $20:
16 >
17 > http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=pd_sim_hi_1
18 >
19 > Personally I think CPU power consumption is a red herring without
20 > including the power consumed by the rest of the box:
21 >
22 > MB power?
23 > Hard drive power?
24 > Hard disk power
25 > GPU power?
26 > DRAM power?
27 >
28 > The 5 above can easily become the dominant power hogs.
29 >
30 > I use an Intel i7 980X 6-core hyper-threaded CPU, so that's 12 CPUs in
31 > top, which burns _lots_ of power, but I suspect it's not the biggest
32 > power consumer when compared to the total of the 6 500GB 7200 RPM hard
33 > drives I have in the box.
34
35 Spinning disks consume surprisingly little power once they're up to
36 speed. My GPU, by comparison, doesn't seem to reduce heat generation
37 very much when relatively idle.
40 > WRT to money spent to run a machine I hope someone stated earlier than
41 > this that it's the whole system that matters and not just the CPU.
42
43 I didn't state so explicitly, no, but I believe I mentioned the two
44 machines had been otherwise comparable in their equipment loadout. If
45 I missed that, my bad.
48 :wq