From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : CPU : AMD FX-4100 ?
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:08:17
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >> MB power?
6 >> Hard drive power?
7 >> Hard disk power
8 >> GPU power?
9 >> DRAM power?
10 >>
11 >> The 5 above can easily become the dominant power hogs.
12 >>
13 >> I use an Intel i7 980X 6-core hyper-threaded CPU, so that's 12 CPUs in
14 >> top, which burns _lots_ of power, but I suspect it's not the biggest
15 >> power consumer when compared to the total of the 6 500GB 7200 RPM hard
16 >> drives I have in the box.
17 >
18 > Spinning disks consume surprisingly little power once they're up to
19 > speed. My GPU, by comparison, doesn't seem to reduce heat generation
20 > very much when relatively idle.
23 OK, point taken about the disks at least when talking about a single
24 disk. I see we measure the same way with a Kill-a-Watt so that's at
25 least consistent.
26
27 And I think we're in more or less violent agreement, but reducing the
28 CPU power in the end won't save all that much on the electric bill, or
29 so I think.
30
31 I ran around really quickly to find some spec values for the machine
32 I'm on right now. No idea if the numbers are right. They are just what
33 I found quickly:
34
35 CPU - i7-980x - 130W
36
37 vs
38
39 Asus Rampage II Extreme - Can't find so far, so let's guess 25W for
40 the chipset, NICS, audio devices, etc.
41 WD RAID Edition 500GB - 8W * 6 = 48W
42 NVidia GTX 465 class card = 80W
43 24GB DRAM - Total guess, but about 1W/DIMM looks safe, so 6W total
44
45 So a __really__ rough guess is my machine should use about (130 + 25 +
46 48 + 80 + 6) Watts, or 289W assuming I added it up correctly. That's
47 under full load though. My UPS has a power meter in it. The UPS is
48 driving this machine, 3 monitors, a small switch, a wireless access
49 point and maybe one or two other small things I've forgotten or have
50 plugged in somewhere. When the machine is essentially idle that mater
51 reads 330W. When I start a VM that uses 6 processor cores and runs for
52 30 minutes at full tilt the power consumption is 385W. I no longer
53 remember what I have set up in terms of the CPU clocking stuff. It's
54 on the machine and let's the box go full tilt, but I'm not sure what
55 it does when the machine is idle.
56
57 Anyway, if you assume that the 55W jump was the difference between the
58 980x idling, and then using 3 cores full tilt, then 6 cores (12
59 threads) might be more like a 100W jump which seems about right
60 according to Intel's spec.
61
62 In terms of the electric bill, don't forget the PC power supply is
63 only 80-90% efficient, so 10-20% is thrown away there also.
64
65 Now, assume you get a CPU that draws half the power. This setup would
66 still likely draw something close to 330W when it's idling, and might
67 only jump up by 60W when running full tilt. That would save maybe
68 (330+60)/(330+100) or only about 10% on the whole system power
69 consumption. For that reason I don't think skimping on the CPU makes
70 much sense to me. I'll happily turn the box off 2 hours a day vs go
71 slower all the time, but that's just me.
74 >> WRT to money spent to run a machine I hope someone stated earlier than
75 >> this that it's the whole system that matters and not just the CPU.
76 >
77 > I didn't state so explicitly, no, but I believe I mentioned the two
78 > machines had been otherwise comparable in their equipment loadout. If
79 > I missed that, my bad.
80
81 And I don't know that you did as I haven't read the thread, but part
82 of my argument is that you have to know the WHOLE system and not just
83 the CPU to decide if changing the CPU costs or saves much power.
84
85 Cheers,
86 Mark