From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : CPU : AMD FX-4100 ?
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:06:54
1 On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > Amp meters are less than $50 USD. They clamp around the
5 > power cord, or any wires inside the computer you can fit
6 > the "clamp" around.
7
8 <SNIP>
9 >
10 > hth,
11 > James
14 I haven't read this thread but I do use one of these which costs less than $20:
15
16 http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=pd_sim_hi_1
17
18 Personally I think CPU power consumption is a red herring without
19 including the power consumed by the rest of the box:
20
21 MB power?
22 Hard drive power?
23 Hard disk power
24 GPU power?
25 DRAM power?
26
27 The 5 above can easily become the dominant power hogs.
28
29 I use an Intel i7 980X 6-core hyper-threaded CPU, so that's 12 CPUs in
30 top, which burns _lots_ of power, but I suspect it's not the biggest
31 power consumer when compared to the total of the 6 500GB 7200 RPM hard
32 drives I have in the box.
33
34 WRT to money spent to run a machine I hope someone stated earlier than
35 this that it's the whole system that matters and not just the CPU.
36
37 Cheers,
38 Mark