From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] terrible performance with btrfs on LVM2 using a WD 2TB green drive
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:43:32
1 On Wednesday 16 March 2011 09:53:37 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 15.03.2011 07:50, schrieb Matthew Marlowe:
3 > >> My problem is that LVM2 is not supported in parted which is the
4 > >> recommended tool to deal with this.
5 > >>
6 > >> I suspect I only need to map the individual PE to a particular start
7 > >> sector on each drive, not btrfs, but then there is stripe/block sizes
9 > >> consider as well ... WD also are recommending 1mb sector boundaries
10 > >> for
11 > >> best performance - I can see a reinstall coming up :)
12 > >
13 > > I have on my workstation:
14 > > 2 WD 2TB Black Drives
15 > > 5 WD 2TB RE4 Drives
16 > >
17 > > Some notes:
18 > > - The black drives have horrible reliability, poor sector remapping, and
19 > > have certain standard drive features to make them unusable in raid. I
20 > > would not buy them again. I'm not sure how similar the green drives
21 > > are.
22 >
23 > Green drives also seem to be affected:
24 > http://doug.warner.fm/d/blog/2009/11/Western-Digital-15TB-Green-Drives-Not-y
25 > our-Linux-Software-RAID
26
27 I have 6 Green drives (WDC WD15EARS) in a RAID5 and I have not seen any
28 issues.
29 Only issue I saw was 1 drive with "reallocated" sectors as also mentioned by
30 one of the commenters on that page.
31 Replaced that drive and no further problems so far.
32
33 I did, however, spent time to align the sectors correctly for the Raid-
34 partitions, striping, LVM blocksize and the mkfs-statements.
35 Without those, performance was really bad.
36
37 I would prefer to see proper support for 4K-sector-size drives.
40 Joost