From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] terrible performance with btrfs on LVM2 using a WD 2TB green drive
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 08:56:22
1 Am 15.03.2011 07:50, schrieb Matthew Marlowe:
2 >
3 >> My problem is that LVM2 is not supported in parted which is the
4 >> recommended tool to deal with this.
5 >>
6 >> I suspect I only need to map the individual PE to a particular start
7 >> sector on each drive, not btrfs, but then there is stripe/block sizes to
8 >> consider as well ... WD also are recommending 1mb sector boundaries for
9 >> best performance - I can see a reinstall coming up :)
12 > I have on my workstation:
13 > 2 WD 2TB Black Drives
14 > 5 WD 2TB RE4 Drives
15 >
16 > Some notes:
17 > - The black drives have horrible reliability, poor sector remapping, and have
18 > certain standard drive features to make them unusable in raid. I would not
19 > buy them again. I'm not sure how similar the green drives are.
20
21 Green drives also seem to be affected:
22 http://doug.warner.fm/d/blog/2009/11/Western-Digital-15TB-Green-Drives-Not-your-Linux-Software-RAID