From: Trifu Catalin Florin <sviatovigt@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New gentoo installation fails when trying to install syslog-ng
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:01:07
1 On Thursday, 15. September 2011 01:16:12 Trifu Catalin Florin wrote:
2 > First, make sure you have emerged the kernel's sources.
3 > Second, check that the newer sources have been selected: 'eselect kernel
4 > list' followed by 'eselect kernel set'. Build the kernel, either using
5 > genkernel or make triumvirate (make menuconfig && make && make
6 > modules_install) Install the new kernel in /boot.
7 > Reboot.
8 > Warning: packages that build their own kernel modules, e.g., xtables-addons,
9 > must be re-emerged prior to rebooting. Rgds,
10 >
11 > ---
12 >
13 > :(((((((((((((((((((
14 > :(((((((((((((((((((
15 >
16 > Is it possible to compile the kernel without emerging kernel's sources?
17
18 No.
19
20 > I have made an installation one week ago on a virtual machine and it worked
21 > fine. The kernel on that virtual machine is 2.6.39-gentoo-r3. How is it
22 > possible to use the same manual, same mirrors, same steps and still to have
23 > a different kernel version? How is it possible not to work?
24
25 You did not reboot.
26
27 > If I use genkernel is because I DON'T KNOW how to compile the kernel
28 > manually. This being said, sentences like:
29 >
30 > "Warning: packages that build their own kernel modules, e.g.,
31 > xtables-addons, must be re-emerged prior to rebooting."
32 >
33 > are the Gordian knot for me.
34
35 No problem. Just use genkernel, if you like. It works for many of us without
36 problems. But you have to reboot. No matter how you build your kernel.
37
38 > I'm very frustrated because on gentoo's forum no one didn't answer for three
39 > days now, and on this mailing list we have changed 4-5 emails regarding how
40 > an email should be written.
41
42 If you want help, you need to know, how to ask questions in a "correct way" -
43 if your mails are unreadable, nobody will read them and you will get no
44 answers.
45
46 > Meanwhile, my server is still offline.
47
48 Why don't you follow my advices? Have you tried only one of the options I
49 offered? You know, I am an experienced user, I don't tell you shit.
50
51 > Now, in another order of ideas:
52 > - I have searched the internet for 2-3 days before sending an email here
53
54 Here's a tip. If you see an error, you cannot decipher, put it into google
55 with quotes and gentoo, in your case:
56
57 "touch: setting times of" gentoo
58
59 The second hit, I get here, describes your problem.
60
61 > - I didn't read the standard of how to send an email and I'm sorry for that
62 > but I didn't had time - I wrote the emails using the format that seemed
63 > more "natural" for me, the newest on top having the track of emails bellow,
64 > so that anyone who sees the email can understand what's this all about,
65 > including myself; I had to search for a half an our in my emails to find
66 > the first email on another topic... - I do not now how you format your
67 > emails to look the way they look, having that sentence on top with "x wrote
68 > on..." and ">" before each line of the text you keep for reply; this is why
69 > I have used standard reply from yahoo, because I didn't wanted to reinvent
70 > the wheel
71
72 I hit reply in my mail-client (kmail). That's all I have to do. Is yahoo's
73 reply really so broken? Hmmm.
74
75 > - I HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT FOR EACH USER ON THIS EMAIL LIST BUT I NEED URGENT
76 > HELP ON THE TOPIC: I CANNOT INSTALL GENTOOOOOOO - I AM NOT AN EXPERIENCED
77 > USER WHO CAN CREATE HIS OWN KERNEL, RE-WRITE DRIVERS AND SO ON; PLEASE TAKE
78 > THIS INTO CONSIDERATION AND IF YOU ANSWER HAVE PATIENCE
79
80 Shouting at people, that try to help, is a bad idea in my book.
81
82 > Thank you in advance!
83
84 Best,
85 Michael
86
87 ----
88 Dear Michael
89
90 Thank you for your help!
91
92 I didn't reboot my machine as the installation is not complete yet. How can I reboot when the installation isn't finish, if things that should work don't work in the first place?
93
94 I didn't try your advices as I don't now how to try them. How do I deactivate sandbox?
95 I tried to search for
96 "touch: setting times of" gentoo
97 but I don't understand how this is related to my problem.
98
99 Yahoo reply broken? I don't know what to say about that... gmail works in the same way, outlook in the same way, thunderbird in the same way.
100
101 Now I'm at work, but when I will get home I will try your advices. I don't know how to that but I will find a way. Suppose that it will work, I'm afraid that I will have big problems with my server after that. I think it will keep stop me from working with errors similar to this one.
102
103 Sorry for "shouting" but I do not have power to continue anymore... :(( what should have been a straight forward installation, converted into a nightmare