From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New gentoo installation fails when trying to install syslog-ng
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:27:13
1 On Thursday, September 15, 2011 01:58:59 AM Trifu Catalin Florin wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 15. September 2011 01:16:12 Trifu Catalin Florin wrote:
3
4 <snipped undecypherable part>
5
6 > ----
7 > Dear Michael
8 >
9 > Thank you for your help!
10 >
11 > I didn't reboot my machine as the installation is not complete yet. How can
12 > I reboot when the installation isn't finish, if things that should work
13 > don't work in the first place?
14
15 I could not find the currently running kernel you are using in this thread.
16 Possibly, you are hitting an issue caused by a feature lacking in that kernel.
17 What did you boot your machine with prior to starting the installation?
18 Please also include the version and URL where you downloaded this from.
19
20 > I didn't try your advices as I don't now how to try them. How do I
21 > deactivate sandbox?
22
23 Michael "grimlog" Schreckenbauer actually already told you how to do this:
24 **
25 If you cannot upgrade your kernel right now, you can disable the sandbox
26 FEATURES="-sandbox" in /etc/make.conf
27 (I do not recommend this)
28 **
29
30 The "sandbox" is a security feature. If you disable it to get the install
31 working and a newer kernel-version. Please undo this change after the first
32 boot into the new kernel.
33
34 > > I tried to search for
35 > "touch: setting times of" gentoo
36 > but I don't understand how this is related to my problem.
37 >
38 > Yahoo reply broken? I don't know what to say about that... gmail works in
39 > the same way, outlook in the same way, thunderbird in the same way.
40
41 In other words, they're all broken.
42 A good Email client will allow you to send non-HTML email. Puts "quote" marks
43 in front of the lines and add a "bladibla wrote this" or similar line.
44 It should also allow you to easily put your reply at the bottom of the email.
45
46 GMail has been mentioned a few times as doing things wrongly. I won't even
47 mention the many ways in which MS Outlook does things badly and Thunderbird
48 wants to be a copy of MS Outlook.
49
50 > Now I'm at work, but when I will get home I will try your advices. I don't
51 > know how to that but I will find a way. Suppose that it will work, I'm
52 > afraid that I will have big problems with my server after that. I think it
53 > will keep stop me from working with errors similar to this one.
54 >
55 > Sorry for "shouting" but I do not have power to continue anymore... :(( what
56 > should have been a straight forward installation, converted into a
57 > nightmare
58
59 Lets see if we can find out.
60 Using the current live-cd from the gentoo website, I managed to install Gentoo
61 without problem. If you are using an older kernel-version, you are likely
62 using an older live-cd / host-environment. For this, there are usually work-
63 arounds, but it might be an idea to start with a more current live-cd
64 environment.
67 Joost