From: Wol's lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory manager
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 23:36:09
1 On 19/10/2019 16:24, Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 19 October 2019 14:11:26 BSTmad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
3 > wrote:
4 >> Do systems run different memory management when swap is on versus no swap?
5
6 > The answer to this question is an unqualified yes, although you do not define
7 > your meaning of "different memory management". The existence of swap space
8 > and the kernel's swappiness setting will change the way memory is dynamically
9 > allocated to processes at runtime and may affect the responsiveness of your
10 > system.
11
12 Memory management was massively rewritten roundabout kernel 2.4.
13
14 The original swap algorithm NEEDED twice ram as swap. And when Linus
15 ripped out all the "optimisation", the vanilla kernels only needed to
16 touch swap, and if they didn't have twice ram they would crash.
17
18 At that point, the recommendation changed to "no swap is fine, twice or
19 more is fine, just don't have swap less than twice ram".
20
21 My personal rule is to take the motherboard's max ram, double it, and
22 create a swap partition that size on every disk. So my current desktop
23 system has 80GB of ram/swap - 4x4GB slots times 2 disk drives. And my
24 new system has 4x8GB so that'll be 160GB!!! HOWEVER - Richard Brown of
25 SUSE said that's dangerous - if somebody fork-bombs you it'll take a
26 long time to fill that much swap and regaining control of your system
27 could well be a big red switch job.
28
29 Cheers,
30 Wol