From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory manager
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 15:25:19
1 On Saturday, 19 October 2019 14:11:26 BST mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
2 wrote:
3 > Do systems run different memory management when swap is on versus no swap?
4
5 The answer to this question is an unqualified yes, although you do not define
6 your meaning of "different memory management". The existence of swap space
7 and the kernel's swappiness setting will change the way memory is dynamically
8 allocated to processes at runtime and may affect the responsiveness of your
9 system.
10
11 However, you may not experience any difference by having swap on, if your
12 swappinness setting is low and in addition you never run a high enough number
13 of memory hungry processes to consume all available RAM.
16 > I know that in the past it was recommended to have at least a small swap so
17 > the system used a better memory manager. Wondering specifically if I
18 > should set up a small ram drive for swap just to get better memory
19 > management or if I should run swapless as this particular machine has a
20 > slightly obscene amount of ram available so I shouldn't need a proper swap
21 > partition unless it affects memory management.
22 >
23 > -- “The whole world is watching! The whole world is watching!”
24
25 The handbook recommendation to set up a swap space (partition) is probably
26 made as a low cost, safe configuration to have, which may even save your bacon
27 one day. It is conceivable you could set portage to run a large enough number
28 of jobs on a memory hungry compile, e.g. chromium, to end up with no memory
29 left. In addition, if you tried to Suspend-to-RAM, at a point when all of
30 your RAM is being used, you would soon discover you can't do it without any
31 swap space made available. If you hibernate, then a swap space (file/
32 partition) will be used, which makes it reasonable to have a swap space set up
33 for this purpose in advance. For a desktop, the relative low cost of disk
34 space today suggests it is a good idea to set up some swap space, even if you
35 hardly ever going to use it.
36
37 With the arrival of SSDs the usage of swap was discouraged, because repeated
38 read/writes tended to age prematurely the (early) SSDs. I still use spinning
39 disks for swap, but I don't know what the prevailing wisdom/experience suggest
40 these days.
41
42 Have a look at this for generalities:
43
44 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Is_swap_space_really_necessary
47 And this for an alternative, or complimentary solution:
48
49 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Zram
52 Regards,
53