From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: looking for email provider
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 23:38:23
1 On 2020.02.06 17:36, Laurence Perkins wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2020-02-01 at 17:08 -0500, Jack wrote:
3 >> CAUTION: This is an EXTERNAL email. Do not click links or open
4 >> attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is
5 >> safe.
6 I didn't write that. :-)
7 > >
8 > > Relying on the collective experience and advice of the group here.
9 > >
10 >> As may be obvious to many of you, the address this message is sent
11 >> from "...@×××××××××××××××××.net" isn't really a fully functional
12 >> address. Email sent to that address will be forwarded by the
13 >> sourceforge system to a personal address I specify. When I send a
14 >> message "From: " that address, however, I cannot send it through the
15 >> sourceforge system, as I don't actually have an email account with
16 >> them. Currently, I send it through my gmail account. That works
17 >> because I added that address in my gmail Settings under "Accounts
18 >> and Import" / "Send mail as:". To set it up, gmail sends a message
19 >> to that address, and I click on a link in the message to prove it
20 >> does come to me. That's been working find for a long time, but, ...
21 > >
22 >> I'm trying to move away from gmail. Especially for mailing lists
23 >> like this one, if I send a message to the list, I never see that I
24 >> get the message from the list, because gmail refuses to show it in
25 >> my inbox because it's a duplicate of a message already in my sentbox.
26 > >
27 >> I do have an email account with privateemail.com (thorough
28 >> namecheap.com) but they are unable or unwilling to have a similar
29 >> setup. I'm not even sure they actually understand what I'm asking
30 >> of them, but I've wasted more than enough time trying.
31 > >
32 >> So - I'm asking if anyone can recommend an email service provider
33 >> that understands this and will let me set it up. I have my own
34 >> domain, but namecheap.com does seem willing to have the appropriate
35 >> DNS record point to a different email provider. At this point, I'm
36 >> not interested in running my own email server. I currently only
37 >> need two mailboxes, maybe a small number more in the future, but
38 >> this is personal, not commercial. I don't need to do bulk emails,
39 >> maybe up to a dozen or so recipients. I do NOT expect it to be
40 >> free, but cost is at least some consideration. I don't need huge
41 >> storage limits, as although I use IMAP access when on the road, when
42 >> I'm home, I use POP3 to download everything. I'd also like at least
43 >> minimal control over spam filtering, mainly to let almost anything
44 >> through for me to filter locally. If privateemail.com has false
45 >> positives for everything from some sender (such as ups.com, for
46 >> example) I need to open a ticket with them to add a whitelist. No
47 >> such thing as clicking on "Not spam" and apparently no intent to
48 >> ever do so.
49 > >
50 > > Thanks for any suggestions.
51 > >
52 > > Jack
53 Laurence,
54
55 Thanks for the feedback.
56
57 > You might talk to your ISP. A number of them offer custom email
58 > hosting to businesses and will maintain the server for you, but allow
59 > you a rather customized configuration. So kind of like having your
60 > own server along with someone to manage it for you.
61 Well, I'm in Connecticut, and my current ISP is Comcast, previous ISP
62 Frontier, and I wish to have as little as possible to do with either of
63 them. A major part of the whole reason I'm doing this is to be able to
64 switch ISPs without having to do anything at all and still have my
65 email flow.
66 >
67 > If you do end up running your own system, look through your options
68 > thoroughly. Sure you can set up just a simple email server, but
69 > there are also projects like http://citadel.org/doku.php that offer
70 > more, integrated features for an experience similar to gmail, but
71 > without the spying.
72 That certainly looks interesting, but claiming it's at all like gmail
73 is not a selling point for me.
74
75 Jack