From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] transplant /usr/portage [Was: Backup] [Was: Old Firefox ebuild?]
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 18:41:21
1 On 2016-10-15 22:03, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > > PORTDIR = [path]
4 > >
5 > > Defines the location of main repository. This variable is
6 > > deprecated in favor of settings in repos.conf. If you
7 > > change this, you must update your
8 > > /etc/portage/make.profile symlink accordingly. Defaults
9 > > to /usr/portage.
10 > >
11 > > So, 2 warnings ... looks dangerous after all.
12 >
13 > Not really warnings, just advice. Yes, you should really use the new way
14 > of setting it. Then run eselect profile to reset your profile symlink.
15 >
16 > All you are doing is moving the portage tree to a filesystem that you
17 > backup and telling portage abut it. There's nothing dangerous about it
18 > and you won't stop your system working even if you get it wrong. I do
19 > that on all my Gentoo boxes as I don't want dynamic data in /usr.
20
21 So I have done this, but now every portage operation gives me:
22
23 !!! Section 'x-portage' in repos.conf has location attribute
24 set to nonexistent directory: '/usr/portage'
25
26 There is no [x-portage] section in /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf,
27 the file I modified to point to the new location. My modification was:
28
29 < location = /usr/portage
30 > location = /var/lib/portage/ports
31
32 and this was in the [gentoo] section.
33
34 Apart from that file, there is also
35 /usr/share/portage/config/repos.conf, but I thought this was just a
36 template for the one in /etc. The original contents were the same,
37 ie. location = /usr/portage, and _no_ [x-portage] section.
38
39 I am confused, just as I feared would happen :-(
42 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
43 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
44 Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html